Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Narrow Road

For the discerning heart the question remains one of many. One I asked and often hear is, 'How can I follow God and the path I am on the one I am called to step? The answer comes from prayer wrapped in faith. For there is no easy way-- for it is narrow at the outset. For those of us living the Benedictine way it's a path we trod not so much alone but because we are all one.
Community calls this out from within us and helps us along the way, and even when we think that no one understands or 'gets it' when we feel this call from our God there are those who do.
I am grateful to know that there are those who have walked before me and as I step and step and step once more moving in the spiritual leaning ever forward, looking toward the goal I know my gait is not only sure but good.
Twenty-one years ago, on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross I came to the community seeking the God who first seeks us. My sisters are my spiritual guides, my modern-day GPS on the path of what is monastically right for me. I am still amazed at how I found this place. God's grace is exactly and perfectly enough! Looking at what has been and hoping for what will be I see that we walk the monastic life together albeit a bit slower but still a lit to this narrow little road that we have been blessed to find. Its covered in beauty, cracked, tired and sure. It's earth-given and worn to place of warmth if you look gently enough one kindly finds God in every bit and speck of it.
It is a path that is open to countless seekers. Do you hear God asking, "Come walk with me"?

No comments: