Monday, October 4, 2010

Her Sacred Story & Vocation Sails On...

Recently, we lost to this life Sister Mary Jane Fladung. Sister Mary Jane was one of our Sisters from our daughter house in Columbia MO. I was blessed the other day when Sister Barbara Bock shared a bit about Jane's vocation story. Lovingly we now share with you her story as given by Sisters Barbara Bock and Mary Jo Pollock.

Sister Mary Jane shares the following:



"I have been overwhelmed at God's goodness and love for me. I was born December 6, 1922.
I grew up in the country, vie and one half miles from the little Catholic settlement of Olpe. Kansas, where the church and school were located. I was the fourth girl followed by another sister and then four brothers. We all went to a one room country school about a mile and a half from home. When it was the year to may our First Holy Communion, we stayed with an uncle and aunt who lived only two and a half miles from the Catholic School and we could walk that far. It was at the the time of my first communion when I first felt the desire or call to follow Christ as a Sister. Now 60 plus years later, I know that it has been the best way for me to be Christ for others. We had Franciscan sisters and priests in all the surrounding parishes at the time. My Dad's sister, who died when I was five, was also a Franciscan. Hence, I really did not know there were any other kind; so I intended to join them. As I grew older, I learned that I had a Benedictine first cousin in Texas who could go home every three years and stay in her own home for a two week visit. This was much more lenient than the Franciscans. So I thought to myself. "In the scriptures Jesus went about doing good. He did not hide from the world." So when I was fifteen and ready to begin my junior year in high school, I entered St. Scholastica Convent in Fort Smith, Arkansas, on August 28, 1939 the same community where my cousin belonged. I knew nothing about St. Benedict or his Rule or his twin sister Scholastica. My Dad's mother was Scholastica so perhaps she was pulling some strings in heaven! However I learned that St. Benedict was a person of his time and that appealed to me very much and continues to do so.

This is certainly an entirely different world that when I entered and I have called to be involved in many different ministries to be Christ (as baptised) to others in several different situations. I have beautiful memories of such good happenings and I like to think that heave will be made up of wonderful memories and lovely people. This work is a ship and heaven is our home. Although it wasn't always easy, I have never once regretted the life (ship) on which I embarked many years ago and I intend to live with Christ forever."
--Sister Mary Jane Fladung, OSB



How wonderful the ship in which Sister Mary Jane sailed with her beloved Christ.
May the eternal seas of her heart flow on in glory... and remain a float in our hearts.



Submitted by Sister Barbara Bock, OSB (Fort Smith) & Sister Mary Jo Pollock, OSB (Now of Yankton)
Posted and adapted by Sister Kimberly

No comments: